Sunday, October 18, 2009

Fred Tomaselli

Fred Tomaselli is known for highly detailed paintings done on wood panels on which he suspends myriad materials (not just paint) in epoxy resin so that his paintings are collages of both material and message. He draws from his disillusioning high school experience in Orange County, creating what some call "a contaminated image." He says about his art, "I want people to get lost in the work. I want to seduce people into it and I want people to escape inside the world of the work. In that way the work is pre-Modernist. I throw all of my obsessions and loves into the work, and I try not to be too embarrassed about any of it. I love nature, I love gardening, I love watching birds, and all of that gets into the work. I just try to be true to who I am and make the work I want to see. I don’t have a radical agenda."

Detail Image

Detail Image

Detail Image

1 comment:

Excaliborn7 said...

Did you know that Tomaselli also makes a lot of paintings using pills? I like the idea of using pills to make paintings, since both paintings and pills, and art in general, can be seen as modes of escape. Like these paintings quite a bit, too. Nice post.