Thursday, September 17, 2009

“When I am in a painting, I'm not aware of what I'm doing. It is only after a sort of 'get acquainted' period that I see what I have been about. I have no fears about making changes, destroying the image, etc, because the painting has a life of its own. I try to let it come through. It is only when I lose contact with the painting that the result is a mess. Otherwise there is pure harmony, an easy give and take, and the painting comes out well.”
-Jackson Pollock

I like the idea of the painting as a sort of person. I like that it has a life, and you must "get acquainted" as you work with it. The idea that it is its own being allows some sort of inevitability to painting. It makes the painter seem like a sort of tool that must let the painting's life show. I enjoy thinking that it is when one lets go, doesn't think about it, and works with the painting that the best things occur.

1 comment:

Excaliborn7 said...

I think waht Pollock is saying here is excellent. You must not be afraid to ruin an image at any point. That is the only way to improve yourself and your abilities to see what is possible. Knowing when the "conversation" is going well, and when it isn't, is also something that takes a good deal of time and practice to be able to recognize. It's something that comes partially with being in confident touch with a feeling, and partially with the practicality of extended experience.